Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Dec 29 - The rental car and the navigation problem

The morning of Dec 29, I picked up the rental car. The AVIS franchise was only about a mile or so from the hotel and it took only about 15 minutes to get there. They provided me with an iPAD and suggested I use the IGO navigation system. The AVIS people also preset the setting for Italian and English voice directions. The IGO navigation took me many miles out of my way, first to near downtown Tel Aviv, then toward the airport. I found my way back to the AVIS station (it took about 2 hours) and they reset the voice directions for British English (they also gave me the security code to use when starting the car - they had forgotten this and without the code I would never have been able to start the car). The IGO directions were better but I couldn't tell that when they meant 'bear right', it didn't mean changing lanes or that the road would go to the right. Anyway, it took another 30 minutes to get to the hotel and park (about 5 minutes were used to get through the hotel parking security system and the meandering route to a parking spot on the bottom level of the basement). Anyway, I found out later that IGO is not a well respected navigation system (what a surprise).

No comments:

Post a Comment